Sunday, March 13, 2016

Drafting the skirt

It was good to step back from the draft for a day or so. This is the basic draft in my skirt block. Because there is more width to be covered than in the original pattern, I realized that I had to change the back if I wanted the center back panel more or less as narrow as the original. I had already made the panels a bit wider, but on the back that was not enough.

The dotted line in the back indicate where I started to move out the pattern pieces to create the fullnes in the back. Also a lot of notches to make sure I know which parts belong together.

DSC_1080

This is an original pattern piece for the back.

DSC_1079

Below pictures of how I created this on my pattern:

I traced the top part to the dotted line (in my block these are the pattern pieces marked 5 and 6). On a separate piece of paper I traced the bottom part, have drawn lines in it and spread the four pieces I now had.

DSC_1083

 

DSC_1084

The corner was curved to get a smooth transition.

DSC_1086

The final pattern piece.

DSC_1088

For the waistband I closed the darts. The back waisband is curved and the length of the darts were not exactly the same any more.

DSC_1080

DSC_1081

Here I trued the lines, adding a bit at the top, taking away a bit from the bottom. To make sure the waistband is even, I checked the line of the center back and the lenght of the lines where the darts were. There was one line I had to adjust a little.

DSC_1082

I’ve cut out the skirt and plan to do some sewing tonight. I’m very excited to see whether this works as I see it in my head.

1 comment:

  1. This is really exciting, Sigrid, sort of like watching a skyscraper being built. Thanks for letting us follow your process.

    ReplyDelete